This burrito bowl with crisp crunchy cabbage is exactly what you need after the holidays. Mostly flavored with leftovers from the refrigerator, this is fresh, easy and you can even serve it to last minute guests. Making a roast for the winter holidays? Perfect, shred the leftover meat and add it as is or simmer it with chilies and onions. Vegetarians? Easy, just open a can of black beans and sauté with spices, onion, and garlic. Omnivores can go with rice and beans.
- Start with a bowl of rice white or brown. If you want to get fancy season it with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Add a glug of olive oil. Plain rice is fine, to.
- Pick your protein. Around the holidays you might have leftover turkey, roast, chicken, etc. If you do, shred some up and sauté some onions and garlic. Add your meat with crushed tomatoes or store bought salsa, cumin and coriander. Cayenne if you like it spicy. Simmer until the sauce thickens up. Vegetarians start with onions and garlic in a pan, add a can of black beans with cumin and coriander to taste. Throw in some cayenne if you like it. Mash them up a little or leave them whole and simmer for about 10 minutes. Ground beef is another great option, with chili powder and spices, onion and garlic.
- Make some slaw. I’ve been making the simplest slaw with red cabbage, cilantro, lime, olive oil, salt and pepper. That’s it, just start with a bowl of shredded or sliced cabbage and add the other ingredients to taste (just about a tablespoon of olive oil should be enough). Add grated carrots, radishes, turnips, anything you have left in your winter share box. This slaw is pretty sturdy and holds up great for leftover lunch salads.
- Grab your garnish. Dress up your burrito bowls with anything and everything. I like a wedge of lime, more cilantro, crumbled feta or goat cheese, avocado slices, and hot sauce or salsa (sometimes both). You might like crushed tortilla chips, guacamole, grated cheddar, raw onion, thawed corn, grated carrots, I think we can agree the possibilities are endless!
- To serve, give everyone a bowl of rice and protein and let them add the other ingredients to their liking.