This recipe is a Fall favorite for me. At the end of every summer, I restock my supply of homemade chicken stock, and then, all I can think about is SOUP! And I can’t say enough about how flavorful and hearty this one is. With the fresh chill of Autumn in the air, it’s the perfect meal at the end of a long day.
Zesty Sausage and Kale Soup
By Holly Rodricks
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 lb. Hot Italian Sausage
- 3-4 large Potatoes, skins on, sliced in half and then in 1/4″ half moons
- 2 medium Onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped, cooked Bacon, grease reserved*
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 bunch Kale, stemmed and torn or chopped into large chunks (I prefer Red Russian or Tuscan Curly for this recipe.)
- 4 cups (32 oz.) Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1-2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Break Sausage into small bits by hand and brown with Olive Oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Transfer cooked Sausage to stock pot and set skillet aside. Add Chicken Stock and Potatoes to stock pot. Cover and bring to low boil over medium heat.
- Return to skillet. Add 2 tbsp. Bacon Grease and chopped Onions, and cook over medium-low heat until Onions are translucent and fairly soft.
- Add Garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Transfer Onions and Garlic to stock pot with other ingredients. Cover and return to simmer. Allow to cook for 20-30 minutes or until Potatoes are soft and break apart when stirred.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in Kale and Cream. Cover until ready to serve.
- Serve hot with fresh bread and butter!
*If you’re like me and you usually have a little tub of Bacon Grease in the fridge but don’t always have the actual Bacon, don’t worry about that part. The Grease will add enough Bacon flavor that the soup will taste just fine without the bits.