What a treat we have this week! One of our fantastic 2016 Summer CSA members, Kim, has submitted the recipe below to share the love with all of us. One of my favorite things about this delicious Eastern European soup recipe is the number of veggies it uses that are currently in season! Thanks, Kim!
By Kimberly Sturgill Looney
Makes 6 servings
- 2 quarts Vegetable Stock (or 2 quarts Water and 2-3 Vegetable Bouillon Cubes)
- 2 tablespoons Butter (or Oil of Choice for Vegan version)
- 1 cup Cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup Potatoes, diced
- ½ cup Carrots, diced
- 1 stalk Celery, minced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes
- 3-5 Beets
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Chopped Dill or Parsley, to taste
- Sour Cream, to taste (Optional)
- In a large pot, melt Butter and lightly sauté Cabbage, Potatoes, Celery, and Onion for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add Vegetable Stock and Stewed Tomatoes. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Meanwhile, boil 3-5 whole Beets in a small pot with enough water to cover them, until tender. Let Beets cool enough to cut them into julienne strips.
- Add julienned Beets and Beet Juice to simmering veggies to give soup a beautiful color and great flavor.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Add another Bouillon Cube if needed for additional flavor, and add more Water or Stock if soup needs more liquid.
- Serve hot with dollop of Sour Cream and sprinkling of Dill or Parsley over each bowl.
*Image courtesy of: https://longislandweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Zox_B.jpg.