Starting to wonder what to do with all this summer squash? Our good friend and former NYC Chef Elias Kushner, now calls CNY home, and he has just the answer – Summer Ratatouille! Learn more about Elias and his food adventures on his website, What’s Edible, and follow him on Instagram!
By Elias Kushner, What’s Edible
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves of Garlic – sliced thinly
- 1/4 tsp. Chili Flakes
- 2 medium to large Tomatoes, diced
- 1 small Onion, sliced thickly
- 1 Zucchini or Yellow Squash, diced finely
- 1 Cubanelle Pepper, sliced thinly in short pieces
- 1 large or 2 small Japanese Eggplants, diced (Optional)
- 2 tbsp. fresh Basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh Oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. + 1 pinch Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Heat Olive Oil in a large, tall-sided pan or stew pot over a medium-low heat. Add Garlic, Chili Flakes, and pinch of Salt and cook, stirring frequently until aromatic.
- Add Tomatoes and stir until combined. Cook on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add Onions and stir. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add Squash, Eggplant, Pepper, Salt, and Black Pepper and stir. Simmer on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has thickened.