Two of my favorite comfort foods are baked potatoes and greens and beans. This recipe combines the best of both worlds into a single warm and hearty dish that’s easy to make! The secret is open-roasting the potatoes, yielding a perfectly cooked inside with a wonderfully crispy exterior. For a bigger mix of flavors, try substituting sweet potatoes or even different kinds of greens or beans!
Stuffed Baked Potatoes with White Beans and Kale
By Holly Rodricks
Makes 4 servings.
- 4 medium-large Potatoes (or Sweet Potatoes)
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Kale, stemmed and sliced into ribbons
- 1 1/2 cups (or 1 can, drained) Great Northern Beans, cooked
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/4 tsp. fresh Rosemary, minced (Optional)
- Juice of 1/4 Lemon or 1 tsp. White Vinegar
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place rack in center of oven and reheat to 400º.
- Scrub Potatoes and pierce multiple times with fork.
- Coat Potatoes with 1 tsp. Olive Oil. Sprinkle generously with Salt and Pepper.
- Place Potatoes in oven, directly onto rack. Place cookie sheet on rack below Potatoes to catch any drips.
- Rotate Potatoes every 20 minutes. It should take approximately 1 hours to cook fully.
- When Potatoes have 15-20 minutes left, place remaining Olive Oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add Garlic, Rosemary, and Red Pepper Flakes. Stir and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add Beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Kale and stir occasionally for approximately another 5 minutes until bright green and wilted.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- Remove Potatoes from oven. Plate and slice down the middle. Split open, stuff with hot Beans and Greens, and enjoy!
*Image courtesy of: http://www.recipeshubs.com/thumbs/2270793-spicy-beans-and-greens-sweet-potato.jpg.