Another delicious selection from Sara Forte’s Sprouted Kitchen: Bowl & Spoon, that beautifully melds some of our favorite fall produce into one colorful and flavorful dish!
Roasted Vegetable + Quinoa Bowl
Adapted from a recipe by Sara Forte
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 medium Fennel Bulb, halved and sliced into wedges
- 1 small Onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 4 Carrots, sliced 1″ thick on a diagonal
- 2 small Delicata Squash (or other Squash of choice), seeded and sliced into thick half moons
- 1/2 lb. Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used a chile infused one for a bit of spice.)
- 3/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- fresh ground Pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian Herb Blend
- pinch of Cayenne
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cup Vegetable Broth
- few big handfuls of Kale, stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup toasted Pine Nuts (Optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, to taste (For vegan version, skip this ingredient.)
- Microgreens, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Prepare all vegetables and collect them on large baking sheet.
- Drizzle the Olive Oil, Salt, a few pinches of Pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Cayenne. Toss to coat well and spread in a single layer on baking sheet, dividing into two sheets if over-crowded.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to 425º and cook another 20 minutes or until edges of vegetables are browned and crisp.
- While vegetables roast, cook the Quinoa. Put Quinoa and broth in pot. Bring to gentle boil, then down to simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, add Kale, and cover with lid to allow Kale to wilt a little.
- Once Quinoa has cooled, drizzle in Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, and hearty pinch of Salt and Pepper. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top with the roasted vegetables, Pine Nuts, Feta Cheese, and Microgreens.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Image courtesy of: http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2014/10/22/roasted-vegetable-quinoa-bowl.html?rq=delicata%20squ.