When I think of pesto, a variety of pasta dishes immediately come to mind, but this week, I wanted to push outside the box. This recipe offers a refreshing take on cooking with pesto that embraces all of its delicious qualities while inspiring a new approach, and it includes white beans, which I’m just crazy about. And it provides the perfect opportunity to dig into the delicious pesto in your shares this week, compliments of a Main Street Farms and Crooked Carrot collaboration!
Pesto and White Bean Soup
Inspired by the Food Network Kitchen
Makes 6 servings
- 2-3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves of Garlic, sliced
- 1 bunch Kale, stems removed and leaves torn into chunks – or – 1 bag Baby Spinach
- pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans Cannellini Beans, drained – or 3 cups cooked Cannellini Beans
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsp. Pesto
- 2 tbsp. Grated Parmesan
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped (Optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium low heat. Sauté Onions until soft and translucent.
- Add Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes. Sauté until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add Cannellini Beans and Water and simmer until thick, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in Pesto and Grated Parmesan
- Add Chicken Broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add Kale or Spinach and mix until just begins to wilt the leaves.
- Stir in Roasted Red Peppers and Olives.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with fresh, crusty bread.
Image courtesy of: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/pesto-bean-soup-recipe.html.