What can I say about this one? Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Sweetness, spiciness, and a wonderful tanginess collide to make the most delectable of dishes.
Pan Seared Salmon with Arugula and Candy Striped Beets
By Holly Rodricks
Makes 2 servings.
- 2 Salmon fillets
- 1 cup Candy Striped Beets, peeled and diced large
- 2 handfuls Arugula
- 1/2 cup hearty Grain of choice, (Brown Rice, Cous Cous, Farro, Quinoa, etc.)
- 1 inch piece of fresh Ginger, grated or minced finely
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 6-7 tbsp. Olive Oil or Ghee, divided (or Oil of choice)
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice or 1 tbsp. Wine Vinegar
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Place diced Beets on rimmed baking sheet. Toss in 1-2 tbsp. of Oil until evenly coated and generously sprinkle with Salt and Pepper. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until fork-tender.
- While Beets are baking, cook Grain according to package instructions. When Grain is completely cooked but still hot, remove from heat, add Arugula, Salt and Pepper to taste, and a drizzle of Oil. Stir until mixed well and set aside.
- Generously sprinkle each side of the Salmon fillets with Salt and Pepper. Whisk remaining Oil, Maple Syrup, Lemon Juice, Cayenne, Shallots, and Ginger.
- When Grain is ready and Beets have just come out of the oven, place medium-sized skillet over high heat. Add liquid marinate to pan. Lay Salmon fillets into pan and do not disturb for 2-3 minutes, until side of fillet touching pan is caramelized and separates easily from skillet. Flip and cook for a remaining 2-3 minutes or until fillets reach desired level of “done-ness.”
- Plate Grain, lay Salmon on top, and sprinkle with roasted Beets. Serve and enjoy!
*Image courtesy of: https://media.blueapron.com/recipes/479/c_main_dish_images/20141015-2124-16322-7749/Salmon_20with_20Candy_20Beets-0039_splash_feature.jpg