Crooked Carrot‘s Winter Stir Fry Mix was such a big hit in our CSA shares this past January that we decided to go for a repeat! This recipe can be customized to include just about anything you like. Substitute different veggies for kale or mushrooms and different nuts instead of cashews. Add sesame seeds, and bulk it up with meat or tofu. Go crazy – you can’t go wrong!
Mushroom, Kale, and Winter Vegetable Stir Fry
By Holly Rodricks, adapted from an original Chef Emily Peterson recipe on The Gourmet and the Peasant
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 bag Crooked Carrot Winter Stir Fry Mix
- 2 cups Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups Kale, stemmed and sliced into wide ribbons
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced Ginger
- 3 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup Cashews, chopped
- 1 tsp. Sesame Seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sriracha to taste
- Steamed Jasmine rice (Optional)
- In a large skillet or wok, heat Olive Oil over medium heat.
- Add Onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add Garlic and Ginger and sauté until aromatic.
- Add Mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften and give up some of their water.
- Add Crooked Carrot Winter Stir Fry Mix and Kale ribbons. Cover pan and steam for 4-5 minutes until vegetables brighten in color.
- Remove lid. Add Cashews, turn heat up to high, and stir constantly until liquid in bottom of pan evaporates.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Drizzle with Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Sriracha, and Sesame Seeds.
- Serve as is or over steamed Jasmine rice.
*Image courtesy of: http://cdn.skim.gs/images/smxnu5pbrlxnxjpthncs/kale-stir-fry.