I recently came across this recipe in a newer cookbook called The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon, and I couldn’t contain my excitement, knowing that squash season was right around the corner. Don’t laugh – I get really excited about my food! Beautiful and simple – the recipe below is my adaptation. that melds together all the colors and flavors of Fall.
Maple Spice Delicata, Fennel, & Kale
Adapted from a recipe by Sara Forte
Makes 4 servings.
- 3 small Delicata Squash (about 1 – 1.5 lbs. total), skin on, halved and seeded
- 1 large Fennel Bulb, fronds reserved for garnish
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. Whole Grain Mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Kale, stems removed
- 3 tbsp. Onion, minced
- Preheat oven to 400º. Position one rack in lower third and one in upper third of oven.
- Slice Squash into 1″ half moons.
- Slice Fennel down center. Cut out tough core. Slice into 1/2″ wedges.
- Spread Squash and Fennel on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. Olive Oil, Maple Syrup, Mustard, Cayenne, Red Pepper Flakes, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and a few generous pinches of Salt and Pepper.
- Toss gently until evenly coated, adding another drizzle of Oil or Maple Syrup if mixture seems too dry.
- Roast on upper rack for 30-45 minutes or until Squash is tender and caramelized, tossing vegetables halfway through.
- While Squash cooks, rip Kale into large chunks and spread on second baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper.
- At 30 minute mark, move Squash to lower rack and place Kale on top rack. Bake for 10 minutes until edges are crisp.
- Add minced Onion and gently toss all ingredients together.
- Serve warm.
*Image courtesy of: http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2013/2/6/maple-spice-delicata-fennel-kale-bowl.html.