Although these vegetables are photographed with a fried-egg topper (Call it my unconventional breakfast!), this is an excellent accompaniment to a delicious salmon fillet, and the same preparation works wonderfully for pan-searing the fish. Substitute other kinds of vegetables based on what’s in season. The marinate is the star here!
Lemon Maple Roasted Vegetables
By Holly Rodricks
Makes 3-4 servings.
- 2 Red Peppers, sliced in 1/4″ strips
- 2 Japanese Eggplant, sliced diagonally into 1/4″ rounds and then trimmed into strips
- 1 Fennel Bulb, sliced 1/4″ thick (See post on Fennel Bulb preparation for more details.)
- 1 tsp. fresh Ginger, finely grated or minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp. Parsley, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. Oil of choice (2 tbsp. reserved)
- Combine Ginger, Garlic, Maple Syrup, Lemon Juice, Parsley, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, Pepper, and 1 tbsp. Oil in a small bowl. Whisk all ingredients together until marinate is evenly blended.
- Place Peppers, Eggplant, and Fennel in large bowl. Pour marinate over vegetables and toss until well-coated. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 tbsp. of Oil to pan. When pan and oil are hot, add vegetables. Adjust heat to medium, stirring vegetables occasionally for 10-15 minutes until Peppers and Eggplant are softened, and Fennel is slightly translucent but still has a little crunch.
- Remove from skillet and enjoy!