Some of my favorite recipes are the ones that give you the foundation to start but then let you improvise and customize to your taste. This breakfast bake was originally introduced to me by my mother-in-law, using red bell peppers as the veggies, but since those are hard to come by in the winter, I decided to experiment. You can add different kinds of greens, peppers, or even squash, depending on the season. Next, I’m toying with the idea of mixing in some roasted turnips or grated kohlrabi. What crazy combos are you cooking up?
Kitchen Sink Breakfast Bake
By Holly Rodricks
Makes 6-8 servings.
- 8 Eggs
- 1 lb. Breakfast Sausage, cooked and broken up in small pieces
- 3-4 medium Potatoes, cubed and par-boiled
- 1 Onion, finely diced and sautéed until translucent
- 1 generous handful of any veggie of choice – I used roughly chopped spinach and sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Pepperjack Cheese, 3/4 cup reserved
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Butter for greasing
- Lightly grease a 9×13″ casserole dish with Butter and set aside.
- Beat Eggs together in large bowl with whisk.
- Whisk in Mustard and Milk.
- Add cooked Sausage, par-boiled Potatoes, sautéed Onions, chopped Veggies, and 1/4 cup Cheese. Mix with Spatula until evenly combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining Cheese evenly over top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour, or until mixture no longer jiggles when dish is shaken and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve hot!