Last week both our very own Allan, along with Dave from Food and Ferments, mentioned that they’d been wanting to try to make a dressing out of F&F’s Ginger Beets. Of course, I stole their idea and ran with it – and once you have a dressing, you need a salad to keep it company! Expect a combo of sweet and tangy flavors, supported by hardy greens and protein-packed eggs. As always, I make my kitchen creations to suit my taste, but don’t be afraid to experiment to make them fit yours!
Ginger Beet Power Salad
By Holly Rodricks
Makes as many servings as desired
Ginger Beet Dressing –
- 1 cup Food and Ferments‘ Ginger Beets, liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Whole Grain Mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Raw Honey
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried Parsley
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Pepper
Power Salad (per serving) –
- 1 handful of Spring Mix
- 1 handful of Spinach
- 1 handful of Kale, stems removed, roughly torn and massaged with a bit of Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, and Salt
- 4-5 slices of Ginger Beets
- 1 tbsp. dried Cranberries
- 1 tbsp. Raw Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan (Optional)
- 1 Egg
To make the the Dressing –
- Coarsely chop the Ginger Beets.
- Combine all ingredients and blend using a regular blender, immersion blender, or food processor. Use reserved liquid to thin Dressing to desired consistency.
- Refrigerate while preparing salad. Dressing should be used within one week.
To make the Salad –
- Mix Greens together and place in bowl.
- Sprinkle with Cranberries and Pepitas and layer sliced Ginger Beets on top.
- Poach egg, soft boil, or cook sunny side up.
- Lay hot egg on top of salad, sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve!