There’s nothing like a good recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes from a true Southerner, and this one is just the ticket. When he heard we’d have green tomatoes in, a friend of ours contributed his favorite preparation for us to share!
Deep Fried Green Tomatoes
By John Craddock, Farm Friend
Makes 1 serving. Increase quantity to accommodate any sized group/number of tomatoes.
For the Tomatoes –
- 1 Green Tomato, sliced into 1/4 – 1/3″ cross-sections
- 1/2 Fine Corn Meal
- 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Eggs
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying or 1/4 cup Oil of Choice for pan frying
For the Sauce –
- 1 tbsp .Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- If deep frying, pre-heat 3-4 inches of Vegetable Oil in a fryer or in a saucepan on the stove top to 350º. Alternatively, heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet over high heat.
- Mix Flour, Cornmeal, and Kosher Salt.
- Whisk Egg.
- Dredge tomato slices in Buttermilk, flour mixture, Egg, and then flour mixture again.
- If deep frying, drop one slice at a time directly into fryer and cook until golden brown. If pan frying, lay slices into pan, cook on for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, flip, and repeat on other side.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- While Fried Green Tomatoes are resting, mix 1 Mustard, Mayonaise, and Paprika and serve as a sauce. (May be prepared in advance, instead)
Image courtesy of: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_green_tomatoes/.