It’s time for another introduction, but sadly, this one is also a farewell. Jonny will be leaving us in just a few short weeks, but that’s no excuse to not say hello before he leaves for his next adventure!
Jonathan “Jonny Boy” Childs is a nomadic wanderer and musician. This is his second season with the farm and he has deeply enjoyed having the opportunity to witness its transformative transition to Reed’s Seeds.
After graduating Summa Cum Laude from Temple University for Mechanical Engineering, he opted against pursuing an engineering career primarily due an increasing aversion to staring at computer screens and the pull of other interests. Instead, he has pursued an eclectic mix of professions including: carpentry, childcare, party hosting, ATM repair, and of course, farming.
Jonny Boy loves farming because of the space it creates for singing, deep philosophical conversation, time outside in all weather, connecting with the community, meditation, and the sharing of deeply nourishing food. He also fronts the farm band, Local Farmers Union and has had a blast playing around town. Jonathan has been a songwriter since he was thirteen and has written hundreds of songs to date. He performs solo under the name Elijah Wild, and rough sketches of his most recent creations can be heard at soundcloud.com/elijahwild.
In the next month or two, Jonny will be taking what he has learned on the road as his travels continue. Make sure to wish him a fond farewell when you see him. He has been a vital part of our team and will be greatly missed.
- Birthplace – Auckland, New Zealand
- Spirit Animal – Bob Dylan
- Spirit Vegetable – Brussel Sprout
- Favorite Farm Tool – Linear Hoe
- Favorite Farm Job – Tractor Driving During Transplanting
- Favorite Thing About Being a Farmer – Being Outside in All Weather
- Favorite Past Job – Birthday Party Host
- Favorite Meal to Cook – Blanched Kale
- Words of Wisdom – Endure and let joy arise naturally.