This is easily one of my favorite seasonal meals. It’s a mix of just about every summer veggie I can get my hands on, topped with zesty grilled chicken. AND it’s a great way to throw something together out of all the odds and ends of your CSA share at the end of summer. If there are certain vegetables you prefer more than others, I encourage you to tailor the recipe to your tastes. Particularly as the seasonal offerings change, you can make substitutions based on what’s available. No matter what, I promise you’ll be coming back for seconds!
End-of-summer Fiesta Salad
By Holly Rodricks
Makes 4 servings.
Quick Chicken Marinate –
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts (or 1.5 – 2 lbs. chicken or other poultry), cut into tender-sized strips
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. dried Basil
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/3 cup White Wine*
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice (Optional)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
Grilled Veggies –
- 3-4 Zucchini, sliced diagonally lengthwise into long, flat pieces
- 3-4 Colored Bell Peppers, seeded and quartered
- Any other veggies of choice that you enjoy grilled
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 bag Spring Mix (or 1 head Lettuce, chopped)
- 1 small Cucumber, sliced
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved, or 1 Heirloom Tomato, chopped bite-sized
- 1 Avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup Black Beans, canned or cooked
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Salsa of choice
- Mix all marinate ingredients together and allow to sit for 5 minutes until dried herbs re-hydrate a bit.
- Add Chicken to marinate and toss to evenly coat. Allow to sit for a minimum of 20-30 minutes, or as along as a full day. (I like to get the Chicken in the marinate in the morning before heading out for the day, and grill it when I’m home for dinner.)
- While Chicken is marinating, toss Zucchini and Colored Peppers in olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover and let sit for as long as Chicken marinates.
- Grill marinated Chicken and vegetables. When done, set aside to cook slightly.
- Fill salad bowls with Spring Mix and layer with Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Avocados, and Black Beans. Sprinkle with Monterrey Jack Cheese.
- Slice cooled Chicken and grilled veggies into thin strips and lay over salad.
- Top with heaping spoonful of Salsa and enjoy!
*If you don’t have any White Wine on hand, substitute equal parts Vinegar and Water adding up to 1/3 cup and add 1 tsp. Sugar.