Flour City Pasta has done it again! Jon Stadt brings us yet another seasonal recipe that pairs grilled eggplant and homemade herb relish – a twist on traditional pesto – with his tomato basil fettuccine to create a combination of flavors that capture the essence of summer.
Grilled Eggplant & Garden Pesto with Tomato Basil Fettucine
By Jon Stadt, Flour City Pasta
Makes 4 servings.
Herb Relish –
- 1 lb. Tomato Basil Fettuccine (Learn more about where to buy Jon’s delicious pasta here.)
- 2 cups fresh Parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh Mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh Oregano
- 3 Green Onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Capers
- 3 tbsp. Pine Nuts
- 1 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 5 tbsp. Water
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 Eggplants, sliced
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta for 6-8 minutes.
- While Pasta is cooking, puree all relish ingredients in blender. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Brush Eggplant with oil and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper. Grill or cook in large skillet over medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place warm Pasta in serving dish and top with Eggplant and Pasta.
- To add a little extra flavor, whisk a couple tablespoons of Pesto in with the Olive Oil and use to marinate Eggplant slices for 1 hour before grilling.
- Try substituting or adding sliced, grilled Zucchini or Summer Squash to replace or complement the Eggplant.
- When tossing warm Pasta with Pesto, mix in one medium-sized diced Tomato, to add a pop of flavor and color.