If you enjoy Au Gratin as much as we do, you’ll love this hearty Fall take, with the surprising addition of Kale. If you prefer to bake your Au Gratin, preheat the oven to 350º and follow the same layering steps detailed below, but in a prepared baking dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to allow the cheese to crisp up.
Crockpot Potatoes Au Gratin
By Briel Driscoll
Makes 6-8 servings.
- 6-8 medium Potatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 Onion, sliced thinly
- 6 oz. Milk (or milk substitute)
- 2 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Sharp Cheddar, shredded (or whatever cheese blend you prefer)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parsley, to taste
- 1/2 bunch Kale, stems removed and chopped finely
- Optional: Sausage or Bacon layered throughout
- Layer Potatoes in crock pot.
- Once bottom is lined, sprinkle a little Salt, Pepper, Parsley, Onions, Garlic, and Cheese (reserving a good portion for the top layer). Start new layer of Potatoes and repeat until all Potatoes are used.
- Mix Milk and melted Butter. Pour liquid over top layer of Potatoes and sprinkle remaining Cheese across top.
- Cook for approximately 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. (Cooking times will vary slightly depending crock pot.)
- Right before serving, Stir Kale into potato mixture.
*Image courtesy of: http://ohmyveggies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/sweet_potato_and_kale_gratin_on_plate.jpg.