Although not sweet, kohlrabi is often compared to apples in terms of its crispness and juiciness, which makes it a wonderful highlight when sliced into matchsticks and added to any slaw or salad.
Crispy Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw
Based on a recipe by Cookie and Kate
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 small Kohlrabi, cut into matchsticks (about 1 lb.)
- 1 large Honeycrisp Apple, cored and cut into matchsticks (about ½ pound)
- ⅓ cup grated Feta Cheese (Optional, not shown)
- ¼ cup fresh Mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest, to taste
- flaky Sea Salt (like Maldon) and freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste
- In large serving bowl, combine Kohlrabi and Apple matchsticks.
- Add Cheese, if using, and Mint leaves and Sunflower Seeds.
- Shave Lemon Zest liberally over bowl, to taste.
- Drizzle in Olive Oil and Lemon Juice, then sprinkle lightly with Salt and Pepper. Use hands to gently toss salad. Finish with another light sprinkle of Salt and Pepper.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve within 2 days.
*Photo courtesy of: http://cookieandkate.com/images/2015/10/crispy-apple-kohlrabi-salad.jpg.