First it was squash…then tomatoes…and now, we’re heading straight into beet season. In anticipation, one of our wonderful, former farm chefs sent us this delectable recipe for Beet Burgers. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture! Enjoy!
By Briel Driscoll
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 bunch Kale or 1 bag Arugula or Spinach, chopped
- 1 cup of cooked Grains, such as Brown Rice, Quinoa, Millet, etc. (This is a great way to use up any leftover grains you have hanging around.)
- 1 bunch raw Beets, shredded
- 1 (15 oz.) can Beans of Choice
- 1/3 cup Corn Flour
- 1 tbsp. Olive OIl
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tomato, sliced (optional)
- Sauté Onions for 5 minutes in olive oil until translucent.
- Add chopped Greens, and cook 3 more minutes until Greens reduce.
- Add Grains, Cumin, Cayenne, Salt, and Pepper to taste, and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add sautéed mixture to large bowl with rest of ingredients, and smash with hands until evenly combined and desired consistency is reached. If there is too much moisture, add more Corn Flour.
- Form mixture into desired burger patty sizes.
- Grill or cook in pan until each side is browned.
- Enjoy with a slice of Tomato, and serve burger-style!