Kale can be very tough and chewy when eaten raw, but I have three words for you to help you make it tender and delicious. MASSAGE THOSE GREENS! The recipe below includes this important step, and it makes all the difference.
Kale & Chickpea Salad
By Briel Driscoll
- 1 bunch of Kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 5 Radishes slices as thin as you can
- 5 Garlic Scapes, diced
- 1 cup cooked or canned Chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- Sprinkle Salt over Kale and massage into greens until the kale begins to soften and release liquids.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to massage until mixed well.
- Enjoy! Unlike leaf-lettuce salads, this salad will store well in the fridge for several days and will even become more tender and tasty as it sits.