Hakeuri or Japanese Turnips are part of the brassica family. They’re sometimes referred to as salad turnips because of their crisp, mild, sweet flavor; but in addition to being eaten raw, they can also be roasted or cooked like an other turnip.
Mashed Turnips with Garlicky Greens
By Briel Driscoll
- 1 bunch Japanese Turnips, Greens separated and chopped.
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Garlic Scape, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Chop up Turnips and place in pot of water. Bring to a boil, and boil until soft.
- Strain Turnips and mash.
- Mix in Butter, Pepper, and Salt.
- While Turnips are boiling, on medium heat sauté Garlic Scapes or Green Garlic in Olive Oil for 2-3 minutes. Add Turnip Greens and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve garlicky greens over mashed turnips, and enjoy!
*Image courtesy of: https://gourmandistan.com/2013/01/22/rocking-the-winter-csa-with-pan-roasted-hakurei-turnips/